25 September 2008

THE HARDEST PART IS SHIPPING THE BOX



I can knit for hours and hours. I think knitting and reading are 2 of my favorite things. So I was pretty enthused about the most recent Afghans for Afghans campaign of knitting for 7-14 year olds. I made a sweater with some grey Peace Fleece I had in my stash. It will be very warm, and can be worn by either a boy or a girl. Then I found a very neat bottom-up pattern online that is for a bulky weight yarn and one skein of Noro Kureyon. I had those in the stash, as well. I used half of the Periwinkle colored Lopi I have and Noro Kureyon #87. This baby is also going to be wonderfully warm and cuddly. Then I looked at the multitude of Paton's Divine skeins lolling in a laundry basket and paired two of them, Floral and Orangina, with burgundy Classic Merino worsted weight. Crocheted with the two yarns held together, this, too, will warm some child this winter. Plus, I had the bonus of being able to crochet. I don't do enough of it.

So while I loved the knitting, the crocheting, and thinking about doing something for someone in need, I hafta admit that sending off the box was, well, a major league pain in my derriere!

When I venture out, I carry an 8 pound container of liquid oxygen that hisses, emits vapor, and, generally, frightens small children. The little tank is held by a thick, rigid handle. No backstrap, no belt, no shoulder bag, (although I have begun to remedy that). Anyway, add a 6 pound box of extraordinarily awkward size and proportion, and opening doors or getting in or out of the car becomes a serious challenge. Imagine how I felt when, after standing 5 minutes at the little Post Office counter in what is euphemistically called a "convenience store", I was informed by the cashier who had watched me wrestle my way into and through the store that "We ain't got any of them sticky labels, so we are only takin' stamped mail today."

Jesus wept. I almost did, too. But the sweaters and the blanket are on their way having been taken to the Post Office (the real one!) where gentlemen held doors, a young woman offered to carry the box for me and the clerk told me next time to feel free to come in first and either ask for assistance or borrow a dolly. Had it been later than 10:00 a.m., I might have asked if they loan out Jack Daniels, too.

No comments: