22 September 2008

SERIAL KNITTING

Is there anything quite so thrilling as the snap of the paper wrapper as you rip the label from a new skein of yarn to start...a new knitting project? "A new knitting project". Can't you just hear the music in the background? "A new knitting project" Definitely music to my ears. But with all my swatching and planning and purchasing and pattern perusing I seem to have accomplished very little. Nothing has come off my needles or been dutifully recorded in my little leather-bound knitting journal in over a week. Bad! Bad dabbling knitter!


One of my dearest friends has a birthday on October 12 (for those over a certain age, that would be Columbus Day - the real one) and while I have finished her Christmas gift, I hadn't yet completed her birthday present. Joan and I exchange small, often whimsical birthday gifts which cost little but send the message that "I know you this well and I love you". So this year I have the perfect trinket planned. I got up early (like someone sleeping with 5 animals in the bed has a choice?!) and got to work once all the wildlife was outed, inned, fed, and watered. Her gift is almost done, and will be completed today. I will wrap it in the same black/white/grey "Over the hill" paper I've used before ( I bought a really big pack of it) look for a black ribbon and send it on its way next week. I already chose her card.


Next up will be Ragna. Most of the hard part is done - the multi-cabled band that surrounds the head is almost complete. Then it is simply a case of picking up the stitches along one side of it and knitting the top and decreasing. It, too, should be done by the end of the week. Then I will have the cardi in my sandstone handspun, 2 Morgans, and another unmentioned project (she reads this blog) left for Christmas. I also have some stockings I'm making, but they're to be felted so there's only some stockinette to do and makes for lovely tv knitting, and let's be honest here. I hate to admit it, but there are some season premiers this week that this girl just ain't missing. Know what I mean? Yup, stockinette stockings. Just the ticket. So I will leave you with just a taste of Komon (she's done, she's for Christmas, so it's all you're gettin for now!)

No comments: