17 September 2008

HOUSEBOUND

Nothing like being without transportation to "encourage" fiberism! My poor little U4EA spent her formative years like this:

Turns out it's not the recommended way to extend your vehicle's longevity. Now that I'm living in the high desert of the southwest I've been amused at mechanics' reactions to the condition of her sensitive underbelly. Lately, however, my amusement has turned to horror as her ailments have increased in severity. Phrases such as "Whoa! Where did you keep this thing?" and "unsafe to drive" have nudged their way into our conversations. Unsafe? My U4EA? Bah! But I can't afford the repairs right now so she is parked in the garage, safe and sound, and because I can't shlep enough oxygen with me to take the bus, I'm pretty much marooned here. I live with one of my brothers and his gracious wife and she lets me use her car for the essentials (prescriptions and groceries) and while I should be bummed, I'm not! Why? Simple. Because I have enough fiber here to withstand nuclear winter and avenging armies.

I'm currently in full-out holiday mode. Every year I stress myself out with the last minute knitting and nonsense. But not this year! I have planned out all my gifts and am knitting them in order of effort. (Longest projects first) I'm making

  • one Komon from Knit Kimono
  • two Morgans from the latest Knitty (of course I ordered 4 skeins of SWTC Oasis in hunter)
  • one cardigan, St. Germain, from Colinette's Parisienne book, but in my handspun silk/merino Dk
  • 2 felted stockings in Paton's Classic Merino
  • Ragna cap from Elsebeth Lavold's Viking Patterns for Knitters in my handspun black icelandic lambswool
  • one other yet to be determined sweater vest in Uxbridge Tweeds, dark & light blue.
  • and if time permits, a scarf or three

The beauty is, I have already finished the kimono, Ragna's well along, stockings are on the needles, I'm currently swatching for the cardigan and all is right with my world. Housebound or not! In fact, yesterday morning I took my Kiwi wheel out into the bright sunlight with east mountain breezes and spun miles of wool while listening to my ipod. Yup, life's good!

No comments: